This is the second in a two-part series we call “Introducing Your Directors/Producers for the Listen To Your Mother Providence Show.”
So, please take your seats, turn off all electronic devices, and settle in as I raise the curtain on Laura Rossi Totten aka Me. Save your applause until the end.
For starters, here are some things I want you to know about me:
- I’m Italian.
- I grew up in Connecticut.
- I moved to NYC as soon as I graduated from college to pursue my dream of working in the book publishing industry. NYC will always be my first love, my passion, my obsession. I LOVED living in Manhattan and still consider it home and even though I’m now a few hours away I have a constant “New York State of Mind” thing going on. When people meet me in person they instantly see and feel it — I’m a fast-talking, fast-walking, high energy gal and I love having things buzzing and swirling around me.
- I’m a Mom: I have twins – one girl and one boy. My son has special needs. They are the greatest gifts of my life. I started blogged because of them and it’s changed my life. Read that story here.
- I’m public relations expert. Read all about my day job here.
- I’m a blogger. I blog on my personal site and for The Huffington Post (I still pinch myself about this achievement) as well as Moonfrye (I review books), Circle of Moms, and many other sites have featured me as a guest blogger.
- I’m a social media manager and digital strategy pro, too.
- I love to write.
- I love Dirty Martinis.
- I’m completely and utterly obsessed (as in OCD) with the online world — blogs, social media…it’s exciting and happening now and I LOVE being part of it.
- I’m also a daughter, sister, wife, and (I hope my gal pals agree) a great friend.
- I’m a board member of my town’s community theatre and have learned enough over the last three years to be hopeful my experiences will bring a unique Rhode Island richness to Listen To Your Mother Providence.
- (A confession: as a child / teen / young adult I was WAY too shy to try out for drama but I always dreamed of acting…I’m thrilled to be able to fulfill this childhood dream on both sides of the stage — performing/speaking and Directing/Producing).
An introduction isn’t complete without a few secrets, so here is my list of “Things I’m Afraid To Tell You” (based on a cool blog hop I did last year of the same name):
- I am superstitious. Very superstitious.
- Sometimes I am still afraid of the dark – especially after a nightmare. (See superstitious.)
- I am not a great swimmer but really wish I was and yet I keep procrastinating about taking swimming lessons. This is serious stuff because we spend the summer sailing.
- I procrastinate about cleaning my office every single week!
- I have to force myself to give myself ME time.
- I am addicted to accessories. I have unopened, never-used handbags and jewelry. Am I a hoarder in the making?
- I hate grocery shopping. I. Hate. It.
- I still love 80′s music. I also love rap, hip-hop, and old school ska.
- I sometimes wonder why God chose me to be both a parent of twins and a special needs parent. Why does he have so much faith in me?
- I write poetry. Shhh.
- I am irrationally afraid of bees. As in, I will run like a mad woman when they come near me.
- I eat candy like an addict. And coffee chip ice cream from Brickley’s.
- I say YES a lot but should say NO more often.
- I drink too much coffee and since I am “high-energy” (aka hyper) it’s not always a good combination.
- I am shy. Really. And an introvert. Not kidding!
- I try to write about the good and the bad when I blog and sometimes I’m VERY scared to be so honest because I’m not sure how my twins will feel when they are older and can read what I’ve published about them. Related to this is my struggle with privacy and how public I should or shouldn’t be about our and their lives.
- I worry that my social media friends think I drink way too many Dirty Martinis!
- I have a secret crush on Ann Imig (and a few other blogger, author, brilliant It gals like her).
- Blogging saved my life.
I hope you enjoyed The Laura Show! Feel free to comment, ask questions, share, shout, applaud, ask for an autograph (just kidding!)…
Seriously, Providence (and all of Rhode Island) we can’t wait to meet YOU. Stay tuned for our update and details on rendezvousing IRL (in real life) real soon.
*Photo mug credit: Zazzle.com